Recipe by: Rebecca Firkser
Makes: 3 cups
3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
2 tablespoons liquid smoke (if you can’t find any, omit and add 2 teaspoons smoked paprika and 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar)
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey, if not vegan
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Place coconut in a bowl, then pour in remaining ingredients.
2. Stir until coconut is completely coated. Let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread on coconut in an even layer.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes, tossing after 5. It’s OK if it doesn’t seem crispy yet: The coconut will dry out more as it cools.
5. Let cool, then use as you would any bacon. We like it with eggs, on BLTs, and (of course) avo toast! Store leftovers in a freezer bag for up to three months.